Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Omigod you guys!

I recently had the pleasure of kicking up my heels and going to see, Legally Blonde- The Musical. Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I had already seen the show. Such is my passion for all things pink and fluffy, I ventured down to Sydney late last year, as I couldn't bear to wait any longer to see Elle Woods live on stage!

But back to my recent viewing in Brisbane. On this occasion, my sisters (used in the Delta Nu sense) and I indulged in some decadent pre-show dining at the acclaimed Lyrebird, QPAC's acclaimed a la carte restaurant.

While the décor was not to my taste (it was rather in keeping with the Brutalist architectural style of the building, of which I'm not a fan), the food and service were faultless.

All the food delivered to our table looked sublime, however special mention must go to the crab linguine with chilli, rocket, lemon and garlic. The perfect combination of the bitterness of the rocket with the slight sweetness of the crab amplified the flavours of both the chilli and garlic, making for a delightful dish that danced on the palette.

The house-made ice cream was also a standout. $12.50 gets you three generous scoops in the flavours of the day, in this case strawberry, cappuccino and raspberry and white chocolate. All were delightfully decadent and incredibly mouth-watering.


Chandon pinot noir rosé 2010

 Classic baked New York cheesecake with peppered 
strawberries


 Selection of house made ice cream

And so to the show. All froth and bubble (much like the delicious rosé we downed with dinner), the show is flashy, funny and more than a little gauche. Fortunately for devotees of the original film, the plot proves far enough removed to prevent you from constantly comparing the two.

The musical score is truly delightful and I can all but guarantee you'll be humming the tune of the title track, "Omigod you guys", for weeks!

On the night we attended, one of the understudies filled the role of Elle. While she missed the extra zing brought to the stage by Lucy Durack (in my mind, the ONLY true Elle, who I saw play the part in Sydney), she delivered a solid, quality performance.

Special mention must also go to Cameron Daddo, a silver fox to rival George Clooney, and the dogs, who definitely steal the show!
Program and gorgeous frozen Cosmopolitan

Overall, the show deserves some serious snaps! Definitely one to see!

Kat xx


No comments:

Post a Comment