Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Vintage Glam with a Pinch of Salt

To thank my mum for all the truly wonderful things she does for me (and for putting up my me and my babbling, hard as it must be at times), I arranged a sublime morning of of traipsing through the narrow, labyrinthine aisles of some of Brisbane's best antique shops and brunch at Salt, one of Rosalie's splendid cafés.

Unfortunately, the inclement weather saw us dodging rain drops so we selected the compact Wooloongabba area (near Logan Road) as our choice for some old world charm, and descended upon the Wooloongabba Antique Centre and surrounding stores. Alas, the Antique Centre was home to a glut of 1970s kitsch on this occasion, however there was a rather stunning three piece set that caught my eye. Perhaps a worthwhile addition to the balcony of my future apartment?

Darling three-piece set.


A particular gem we stumbled upon was European Design. Overflowing with vintage-inspired pieces, the furniture was both stunning and well-priced. Always a lover of feature chairs, I spotted this rather sublime orange offering. At just over $700 I thought it a bargain...and just a little bit chic.

Orange statement chair.


The final notable find of our shopping efforts was That Shop, part of the newly gentrified enclave on Logan Road. This Pandora's box of divine dresses inspired by the 1950s and 1960s was akin to being in pin-up heaven. It is the first time I have found such a wonderful range of vintage style dresses and skirts outside of the American web-based brands. Even better, the customer service in this store is impeccable! It is clear that the girls working here eat, breathe and live pin-up style and are passionate about sharing it with their customers. Needless to say, I walked out with a delightful black and white polka dot dress and a rather fabulous black petticoat.

In true old school style, the shop doesn't have a website, so I have generously included all the essential details below:

That Shop
28A Logan Road, Woolloongabba
Ph: 07 3891 2164
Open: Monday to Friday 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Saturday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, Sunday 9:30 am to 3:30 pm

And so to brunch. While Salt is known for providing quality fare morning, noon and night, it is the breakfast/ brunch menu which I find most endearing, packed with flavourful fresh produce and ample unique breakfast options.

This was my third visit and, I am pleased to report that without exception the waitstaff have been knowledgeable and efficient and the food divine.

However, an important note for those who are sensitive to caffeine: the lattes come with their own postcode! Served in bowls (SOUP bowls to be precise), they provide a mammoth caffeine hit...I was buzzing for the rest of the day!

Coffee.

Field mushrooms and panchetta.

Savoury mince with poached egg and Turkish pide.


All in all, a delightful morning out with my wonderful mum. Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment